Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Psalms Teach Us To Pray

The Psalms continue to shape me in my pursuit of God.  They show me how to cry out to God when I am completely experience ALL that is good!  They show me how to pray when enemies are about to destroy me!  They show me how to pray when I believe I am losing faith and hope!  They show me how to pray when I am unsure of how to pray.

Last evening, my bride and I began what will be a nightly practice for the next several weeks.  We are praying through Psalm 119.  The idea came from a ministry partner, Mark Mirza.  Mark does his good work through Common Threads Ministries.  He comes alongside congregations and teaches about prayer along with helping them start intentional prayer ministries.  You can find out more about praying through Psalm 119 at his blog.


Psalm 119 deals with the Word of God.  Verse one states...

HOW HAPPY ARE THOSE WHOSE WAY IS BLAMELESS, WHO LIVE ACCORDING TO THE LORD'S INSTRUCTION!

A promise of happiness for those that live according to the Lord's instruction.  This is a similar beginning that you find in Psalm 112.  This connection between fearing the Lord, taking seriously the Lord's commands and being happy.

Last night, as we were praying through the verses (and in re-reading them this morning), I was struck by Psalm 119:5-6...

5 IF ONLY MY WAYS WERE COMMITTED TO KEEPING YOUR STATUTES!  6 THEN I WOULD NOT BE ASHAMED WHEN I THINK ABOUT ALL YOUR COMMANDS.

Now here is the Psalmist making an incredibly honest confession.  "If only..."  Fully admitting that, right now, his ways are not committed to keeping God's words.  Right now, when he thinks about what God says in his word, he gets ashamed and convicted and guilty because his commitment is not where he would want it to be before God.

I appreciate the Psalmist's honest confession.  At least he cares about God's Word!  At least he is fully aware that he needs to have a deeper commitment to loving and doing God's Word.  Even though his commitment is lacking, he knows that God's Word is truly valuable.  It would be one thing if he were saying, "Well, it's JUST God's Word.  No big deal!"  He is humble and teachable and ready for his heart to grow and change.  He is like clay ready to be molded.  That is a good place for us to be.

This sincerity is shown by a God-ward desire in the last few verses.

7 I WILL PRAISE YOU WITH A SINCERE HEART WHEN I LEARN YOUR RIGHTEOUS JUDGMENTS.  8 I WILL KEEP YOUR STATUTES; NEVER ABANDON ME!


God, I want to offer You praise that is sincere.
God, I want to learn Your Word.
God, I will, by your grace and strength, live Your Word.
Father, I am asking that You will graciously stay with me.

That is a fitting prayer for the beginning of 2012.

Rodney Bradford - Arabi, Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment