Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Free and Open Place to Walk

Ever had a big decision to make but were unsure about what to do?  Ever had a difficulty in a relationship and were unsure how it might get any better?  Ever found yourself in the midst of a circumstance that was robbing you of peace and overwhelming you with anxiety and fear?

Over the last few weeks, my bride and I have been reading and praying through Psalm 119.  It broken down in eight verse segments and centers on the glory of God's Word.  It has been a journey seeing the Psalmist talk about his own attitudes about God's Word.  He begins with a less than stellar commitment to keeping what God says (see vv. 5-6) and that has led him to a place of conviction and shame.  In God's grace, he begins a journey in his sanctification that leads him to view God and His word differently.

He begins to see the immense value of God's Word.

He begins to see his own life from a different perspective. 

He begins to desire God in a new and intense way.

He begins to long for the Bible in a way he had not in the beginning of the journey.

The journey is real and emotional and deep.  He does not hide how he begins to see his own sin.  He does not hide how he sees those who are against him.  He does not hide a passionate longing for more of God and more vision to see the truth.

It has been a growing journey for my bride and me in praying through the verses of this Psalm.  One verse continues to haunt and challenge and comfort me.  Psalm 119:45...

"I will walk freely in an open place because I seek your precepts."
(Holman Christian Standard Bible - HCSB)"



The Psalmist uses a variety of words to describe God's Word:  statutes - precepts - law -instruction - decrees - commands. - judgments.  Right here in v. 45, the Psalmist cries out that because he has been seeking God's Word, HE IS WALKING IN AN OPEN PLACE.  A few other translations rener this way...

45 I will lead a full and happy life,
      because I've tried to obey your rules. (New International Readers Version)

45 I will walk in freedom,
      for I have devoted myself to your commandments. (New Living Translation)

45 And I will walk at liberty,
For I seek Your precepts.  (New King James Version)

45 And I will walk at liberty,
For I seek Your precepts. (New American Standard Bible)

45 And I'll stride freely through wide open spaces
      as I look for your truth and your wisdom;  (The Message)

45 I will walk around in wide-open spaces,
   because I have pursued your precepts. (Common English Bible)

The big take away from Psalm 119:45 is the immense blessing that comes from being a pursuer of God's Word.  Blessing comes when we are Jesus-followers that delight in the Word.

The other evening, I attended a Prayer Summit in our area.  The Leader, Mark Mirza of Common Threads Ministries, challenged us with a thought.  As we are living this life, we want to be committed to praying God's will.  We are confident that when we pray God's Word that we are praying what God desires.  He want on to say that the Bible helps us know what is true.  God is not interested in keeping us in the dark.  He is committed to building faith in us.  He is leading us to walk in wide-open places.

Meditate on God's goodness.  Read and pray Psalm 119.

No comments:

Post a Comment